21 Persuasive Speech Topics for Inspiration
August 12, 2017 - Sophie Thompson
The idea of a persuasive speech is to convince the audience to share the same point of view as you. However, when you’re first asked to give a persuasive speech, it’s common to go blank about what you can speak about.
The best persuasive speech topics are thought-provoking, daring and have a clear opinion. You should speak about something you are knowledgeable about and can argue your opinion for, as well as objectively discuss counter-arguments. For those struggling to think of a persuasive speech topic, we’ve compiled a list of 21 options you could choose from.
Please note that the suggestions below are intended to help you think about your own opinions and decide on a topic, and they do not reflect VirtualSpeech’s opinion on any of the titles.
21 persuasive speech topics
- Single-sex public schools are better than co-ed schools
- It should be illegal to drive over the age of 80
- Using lie detector tests for jobs is a violation of privacy
- The weekend should legally be changed to three days
- Teenage girls should not be given birth control pills without their parents’ permission
- All students should learn a second language
- Under 18s should have a 9pm curfew.
- There should be legal control on how many children people can have
- Colleges and universities should works better towards controlling crime on campus
- All school children should wear a uniform
- There’s no correlation between going to college and being successful
- Children have it easier today than their parents and grandparents did
- You should buy local produce whenever possible
- Money can't buy happiness
- Automobile drivers should be tested every 3 years
- Hospitals should allow pets to be brought in to see their owners
- Companies should provide child-care facilities for employees with children
- Lying isn't always wrong
- Facebook is making people more socially anxious
- The case for organ donation
- Love is more powerful than hate
While it may be difficult to choose from such a variety of persuasive speech topics, think about which of the above you have the most knowledge of and can argue your opinion on. For advice about how to deliver your persuasive speech, check out our blog Persuasive Speech Outline and Ideas.