We’ve listed a variety of helpful tools for your business, to help you with everything from project management to email marketing.
- Slack - multi-purpose platform for project management, instant messaging and video conferencing. Slack allows you to create several channels for different teams and makes it easy to add new members to multiple channels.
- Hangouts Chat - messaging platform built for teams. Whether in a 1:1 chat or a dedicated group workspace, Hangouts Chat makes it easy to collaborate with your team in an organized way. Share and discuss Docs, Sheets, and Slides all in one place.
- Flock - talk to different teams as a 1-1 or group discussion with this online team collaboration platform. Share your screen to get into details. Also includes a suite of business collaboration tools - shared to-dos, polls, notes, reminders and many more.
- Stride - team communication app from Atlassian. Stride lets you communicate with your team in private and public rooms, organize company workflows, make audio and video calls.
- Microsoft Teams - team communication tool designed for enterprises. Communicate though threaded and persistent voice and text based chat, initiate a private or group chat, share files or co-author content.
- Trello - highly visual and intuitive project management tool, making it ideal for the non-project manager. Trello uses a card based design where you store your tasks, set up reminders and share with other team members.
- Asana - use existing templates to add new workflows quickly, create lists of tasks for yourself or other team members, create projects where tasks can be posted to shared boards, break larger tasks down into subtasks, and even convert a task into a project should it become too big.
- Basecamp - an excellent project management tool for beginners. Group and team communication, assign and track tasks, attach important files to each project and in-built calendar for scheduling meetings and establishing deadlines.
- Monday - the first visual tool of its kind and shows you exactly where things stand at a single glance. You can reduce long email threads, cut down on meetings, and experience the satisfaction of turning things green when they're done.
- Redbooth - easy-to-use project management tool. Its platform allows users to plan and collaborate through many functions from video conferencing to file sharing to creating Gantt charts.
- Goodhire – lets you conduct background checks, identify verifications, reference checks, employment verifications, pre-hire skills tests, credit checks, drug screenings, driving record checks and education/degree verifications.
- Upwork - allows business owners to hire freelancers for anything and everything. Whether you need web development, graphics designers, social media managers, etc. there is probably someone on Upwork who can help grow your company.
- ZipRecruiter - find better talent with cross-job-board posting, resume screening and a point-based score chart to find the best candidates.
Customer relationship management (CRM)
- Salesforce CRM - brings together all your customer information into a single platform that enables you to build a customer-centred business from marketing right through to sales, customer service and business analysis.
- HubSpot CRM – this free platform allows you to keep all your contacts in one centralized, customizable database, automatically logs every interaction for you, and crawls the internet for you.
- Zoho CRM - empowers small to large-sized organizations with a complete customer relationship lifecycle management solution for managing organization-wide sales, marketing, customer support and service and inventory management in a single business system.
- Pipedrive – sales focused customer relationship management tool that teams of all sizes can use. With 70,000+ paying customers spanning across 155 countries, Pipedrive CRM uses a simple yet powerful design that prioritizes usability.
- Dropbox - Launched back in 2008, Dropbox is one of the biggest names in online storage. The easiest way to use it is by installing it on your machine/device, which allows for automatic backups via its mobile apps or (of folders) on desktop.
- OneDrive - Microsoft's free online storage offering. You need to have a Hotmail or Live mail account, but as these email services are free, it's worth setting one up just for the free storage.
- Google Drive - If you have a Google account, you can use Google Drive to store and access files wherever you are. Google accounts are free to create.
- Box - although more geared towards businesses, Box does offer personal plans too. As with Dropbox, you can install the desktop app for syncing between your hard drive and the cloud.
- Xero - online accounting software designed for small business owners and accountants. Business finances and cashflow are updated in real time. Imports transactions from bank accounts. Supports multiple currencies. Data is accessible through a single ledger, allowing accountants and clients to collaborate.
- FreshBooks - automates daily accounting activities namely invoice creation, payment acceptance, expenses tracking, billable time tracking and financial reporting.
- QuickBooks - widely used accounting software for small businesses. Manage all your finances with either their licensed or online version. Instant access to customer, vendor and employee information. Free support and upgrades with online version.
- Microsoft Dynamics - enable your people to make important business decisions with greater confidence. Helps automate and streamline financial, customer relationship, and supply chain processes in a way that can help you drive business success.
- Wave - double-entry accounting for small businesses. Eliminates data-entry and gives you the financial reports you need. Your accounting is also seamlessly integrated with invoicing, receipt scanning, payment processing and payroll.
Blogging and content marketing
- Ghost - minimalist blogging platform with limited features focused on writing blog posts. It’s available as a hosted platform, and also as a software that you can install and host yourself.
- Wordpress - the world’s most popular blogging software. It’s an open source software platform which allows you to build your website or blog on your own. It is a self-hosted solution, which means you will need to sign up with a WordPress hosting provider.
- Medium - launched in 2012, Medium has grown into a community of writers, bloggers, journalists, and experts. It is an easy-to-use blogging platform with limited social networking features.
- Tumblr - different than other blogging platforms. It is a microblogging platform with social networking features including following other blogs, re-blogging, built-in sharing tools, and more.
- Quora - crowdsourced Q&A forum. A great place to write and read about interesting topics. With millions of monthly users, you can reach a huge audience from the offset and familiarise people with your brand, as well as your product.
VoIP / Voice chat
- Skype for Business - hybrid voice messaging solution that enables teams and individuals across the world to communicate and collaborate. It offers both cloud-based and on-premise solutions.
- Cisco WebEx - HD video conferences with collaboration and file-sharing capabilities for all types of meetings, including presentations, sales demos, online training sessions, web-based events, staff meetings, remote tech support and more.
- Zoom - enterprise-level, all-in-one collaboration tool that comes with a small business price tag. It offers video and web conferencing solutions as well as cross-platform instant messaging and file-sharing features.
- Virtual Office by 8x8 - cloud-based phone system that integrates with a number of CRM suites and help desk solutions. It offers unified communications capabilities such as desktop sharing as well as call centre features like IVR.
- Vonage - robust business VoIP system that can provide businesses with features such as outlook integration, call continuity, cell phone integration and local number portability (LNP).
- RingCentral Office - complete VoIP and PBX business phone system that brings all the basic and advanced features modern businesses require to a flexible cloud-based service with a very low upfront cost.
- Gmail - featuring integration with Google’s host of other highly usable online software products and services, Gmail is the choice of many small businesses when it comes to email.
- Microsoft Outlook – as well as email, you’ll get a personal information manager with a calendar, contact manager, task manager, journal, and note and web-browsing capabilities.
- Zoho Mail - minimalist user interface for added simplicity and an easy learning curve. It's specifically geared for business and professional use.
- Mailchimp - integrates with almost every marketing tool, including Twitter and Facebook, ecommerce sites like Shopify, and many signup/popup forms. Includes an easy-to-use collection of newsletter templates, as well as the ability to customize your own design.
- HubSpot - inbound marketing software which facilitates SEO blogging tips, lead nurturing, marketing automation and more. Provides self-service business intelligence and web analytics reporting to measure the success of your website and online marketing efforts.
- PowerPoint - powerhouse among presentation apps. With real-time co-authoring, new design suggestions, and other tools for supporting slideshow creators, it remains the best in its class.
- Prezi - unique and dynamic, Prezi is freeform presentation software that's great for informal and unstructured information. But if you're looking for a slide-based PowerPoint-like alternative, this isn't it.
- Apple Keynote - powerful app for building and delivering beautiful presentations. Gorgeous templates and tight integration with other Apple apps.
- Canva - Create presentations and social media graphics using graphic design tool with drag-and-drop functionality and professional layouts.
Business skills training
- VirtualSpeech - combining traditional online classes and realistic VR experiences, allowing you to learn and practice different business situations and develop essential business skills.
- Lynda - online learning platform that helps anyone learn business, software, technology and creative skills to achieve personal and professional goals.
- FutureLearn - diverse selection of courses from leading universities and cultural institutions from around the world.
- Todoist – enables effective communication, collaboration, task management and more. Available via apps and extensions on 10 different platforms so project teams can collaborate with one another while still using their preferred browsers and devices.
- Evernote - this productivity app is great for storing information, where it can be easily retrieved by a basic keyword or tag search. It’s the perfect place for small business documents, receipts, PDFs, plans, graphics, images and virtually everything else.
Social media management
- HootSuite - easy to add accounts, easy to schedule posts across all major platforms and easy to add account managers. In addition, the company also has a training platform that teaches not just the tools, but how to think about social marketing as a whole.
- Buffer - manage multiple social media accounts from one place. With Buffer, you can schedule social media posts, monitor conversations and analyze channel performance. Includes tools for publishing, engagement, analytics, and team collaboration.
- MeetEdgar - automatically re-share your evergreen content on a set timer. It’s a social media scheduling tool that organizes your social media updates into a searchable library.
- Sprout Social - social media engagement, publishing, analytics, listening and reporting solutions for agencies and brands. Enables them to simplify social management, collaborate across teams and provide an exceptional customer experience.
- GoCo - onboarding solution for companies with 20-200 employees. Personalized offer letters, new hires complete a 100% paperless, self-service onboarding wizard, automatically manage all benefits and payroll eligibility and compliance.
- BambooHR – for small and medium-sized businesses. Integrated applicant tracking (ATS), onboarding tools, e-signatures, time-off tracking, and performance management, with easy reporting and a convenient mobile app for employees.
- UltiPro - deliver convenient recruiting and onboarding, process payroll with speed and accuracy, facilitate ongoing employee learning and development, leverage advanced surveys and sentiment analysis, and drive smarter, people-focused results with business intelligence and reporting.
- Intercom - suite of functionality to give live chat, education and more for your web customers, making it easier to interact, engage and communicate with your customers.
- ZenDesk - streamline your customer service interface, create support boards and streamline your response time. They help improve communication and make sense of massive amounts of data.
- SurveyMonkey - build free surveys to conduct market research, and better understand what your customers want. Their resources include hundreds of questions and survey templates, in addition to advanced survey design and analysis features that allow you to fully utilize every response.
- TeamSupport - built for B2B companies with external customer service, it's a complete customer support suite that simplifies communication and collaboration between customer service, other departments, and your customers.
- Legal Zoom - this attorney plan specifically tailored to small businesses provides attorney reviews of contracts and other legal documents, for a fraction of the price.
- DocuSign - enables people to electronically sign agreements from almost anywhere and helps create digital workflows that save money, increase efficiency, and move business forward.
- Trademarkia - search millions of registered logos, names and slogans to make sure your name or idea isn’t already taken.