Top 20 Google Interview Questions
October 1, 2016
With hundreds of thousands of people applying to Google each year, the Google Interview Questions are getting tougher and tougher in order to filter to the best candidates. Check out our list of 20 technical and 20 non-technical Google Interview Questions taken from real interviews. See how many of them you can answer!
Google Technical Interview Questions
- What is your favourite programming language and what you don’t like about it?
- What percentage of a day do you spend programming?
- What kind of software are you interested in developing?
- What was the hardest bug to solve in a project that you’ve worked on?
- Find the derivative of y=x^x?
- Describe how Dijkstra’s algorithm works?
- How would you build a product like YouTube?
- Give an approximation of 2 power 26?
- Tell me everything you know about hash-tables
- What is the use of the hashCode() method in Java?
- Explain Linux virtual memory
- Imagine you were creating a search engine for events, how would you go about it?
- How would you create an algorithm to verify whether a number is prime or not?
- How would you reverse just the vowels in a string?
- How does the Traceroute network diagnostic tool work?
- What is the kernel call to get the inode information of a file?
- How would you implement a thread-safe LRU cache?
- How would you go about generating a random sequence of numbers for the lottery?
- How could an internet client/server structure work?
- How would you find the longest substring which contains only two unique characters?
Google Non-Technical Interview Questions
- Why are you applying to google?
- What’s your biggest achievement to date?
- How would you describe yourself?
- What do you know about the role?
- Why are you interested in leaving your current role?
- What is an exciting product you worked on recently?
- What is your favourite Google Product, and how would you improve it?
- Estimate how many cities there in Europe?
- How many calories are in your local grocery store?
- Roughly how many spoken languages exist in the world?
- How many people are connected to the internet right now?
- Explain AdWords to a 4 year old child
- Explain how Google fits into Alphabet
- Tell me of a time when you dealt with a difficult customer?
- Why would you pick Google over Microsoft or Apple?
- What would you do if your co-worker was constantly rude to their client over the phone?
- Describe a tough situation you had with a client or colleague?
- What would happen if we charged everyone to use Google Maps?
- What is your favourite app and why? How would you improve or monetize it?
- Are you willing to spend 2 months in another country being trained?
Time to Practice
Try these questions in our virtual reality app (screenshot below), allowing you to practice for job interviews in a realistic scenario with a virtual reality headset. Currently, we have questions for companies including Microsoft, McKinsey & Co., Apple, Deloitte and several others.
If you liked these, follow us on Twitter and Facebook to get more job interview questions and answers.